Wednesday 7 September 2016

The Nature and Purpose of Research

Types/Methods of Research

Primary Research/Self-Generated Research
Primary research is research that is gathered first hand usually through interviews, questionnaires e.c.t that are related to the subject area. When I was gathering primary research for my documentary I put together a questionnaire and sent it out and then bought the feedback together to create my research.
Secondary Research
Secondary research is research that is gathered for other sources such as books, newspapers, internet forums e.t.c. that are related to the subject area. When I was collecting secondary research for my documentary I used newspapers and projects with the same aim. For the research related to my TV advert I used websites, like the official magnum page. Another way I produced secondary research was through watching pieces that were either about the same thing or had similar filming and editing techniques.
Quantitative Research
Quantitative research is information that is gathered from film/television program ratings, CD and DVD ratings, e.t.c. This type of research is more about numbers and calculations that are made after the release of a media product.
Qualitative Research
Qualitative research is information that is gathered from reviews, discussions (e.g. forums), e.t.c. This type of research is more about ideas and opinions. When I was doing research for my documentary I looked at tourist reviews and blogs about living in Gorleston.
Data Gathering Agencies
BARB (Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board) is a database that puts all ratings for media products in one place. The IMDB (The Internet Movie Database) is a website that collects information, including reviews, cast & crew lists, e.t.c. and puts them together to make a profile for films, television programs and video games. Other research agencies include TNS Global, Green Book, Live Minds and many more. 

Purpose of Research

Audience and Market Research
When doing research into the audience and market for my TV advert I watched Magnum adverts, read reviews about the product and searched through their website. From doing this I was able to decide what their demographic and psychographic was. I decided what audience I wanted to aim the advert at and did further research into the best ways to target that specific audience.
Production Research
Throughout all of the projects I conducted research into budgeting (how much things would cost and how to make them affordable). Another thing I did throughout was location recces. A location recce is done before filming starts, it involves going to locations and checking how suitable it is to film in. These recces also help create a risk assessment allowing us to prepare for any incidents that make occur. 

No comments:

Post a Comment